THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chapter 1: We Finally Meet

I first found him lying on the ground, too weak to move, barely able to breathe. I approached him with a mix of fear, anxiety, excitement, and eagerness. Finally, I found another one, another vampire. Vampire hunters only found and killed about five vampires in their entire lifetime. Even with the extended life we got by drinking their blood when we killed them, it was only 5. Not that they were hard to find, but they were just too quick for humans, even with the extra edge we had.

The blood of vampires gave us a little bit of their abilities.

I sensed him while driving down the road in my old pickup one night. I grabbed my silver knife, and headed out into the forest surrounding me. The silver knife would do to a vampire what it would supposedly do to a werewolf, but I had never seen nor heard of a werewolf, so I didn't know the truths to that legend. It was poison to a vampire to be struck by silver, their skin would burn and the poison would leak into their bloodstream and slowly kill them.

I found him in a secluded area. He was too weak to move, he probably hadn't eaten in days, or something had attacked him. As I got closer, he moaned, "Go away human, do not mess with me."

I stepped closer to him and saw that he was young, very young for a vampire. I had never seen one as youthful as this, he looked as if he was turned when he was 16. He trembled, as if he was cold, yet vampires do not feel cold, nor do they feel hot. I wondered what was wrong with him.

"Human, why do I smell our kind upon you?"

It was the vampire blood that he smelled. The reason that hunters would drink it was so we could live longer to fight them, with the added bonus of some of their powers, not as strong, but the boost was there. It kept hunters alive as long as they kept drinking it.

"You smell the blood of a hunter. What is your name?"

He turned over and looked at me with what little strength that he had, sizing me up.

"My name is of no importance, just kill me now and get it over with."

Oh well, I thought at least this one's easy I unsheathed the knife and lifted it above his chest. He closed his eyes and waited for the final blow that would end his unnatural life, and a tear rolled down his cheek.

Never in my entire life had I seen a vampire cry. They were hardened souls that did not feel a thing. I wondered what was the cause of this immense show of emotion that I was seeing right now. I lowered the knife.

"Son of Satan, how long have you been this way?"

He looked upon me with curiosity that I had not expected.

"I am not the son of Satan, I am the son of a man. Why do you wish to know my name, hunter?"

"I think I can help you."

"No one can help me, I am a wretched soul that needs to be taken care of. Please end my life of misery before I am forced to end yours."

I knew it. This was a newly transformed vampire, one of not even 2 months. I could tell by his visible ribs in the moonlight that he had not fed since he had changed.

"You hate them, don't you?"

He glared at me with bloodshot eyes, then lunged at me and pinned me to the ground.

"What's it to ya?"

"I kill them, you can help me rid the world of their unholiness."

"Why would I want to help you, human?"

He snarled at me. I could tell he was straining to not kill me. I had to get out of this position that I was currently in, or else.

"I can help you."

He kept flicking his gaze between my neck and my face trying to figure out if I was telling the truth or not.

2 comments:

Nasaiya Inamae said...

This is... Intriguing. I've read a lot of stories of this kind, and I'm curious to see if you will create any twists that will make it different from other people's stories. Sometimes, I am surprised by the uniqueness of someone's work. We will see in time, I suppose.

Kestrel said...

Hi there! Interesting start. I love vampire stories, and it will be cool to see where you take this.

For a little editorial criticism, The first part of your chapter appears to be in past tense, or some weird mix of past tense and conjugations of verbs. I've been guilty of this myself, and a suggestion would be to watch very carefully your choice of tense throughout your story. If you want to keep it in past tense, you can never vary.

I'm sure this is just a rough draft, so something to keep in mind. I look forward to your next installment.

I have a writing blog too, that I just started, so come check me out: http://publishkestrel.blogspot.com